Saturday, February 25, 2012

Review: For The Sake Of CLARITY

Title: Clarity
Author: Kim Harrington 

Book Summary:

“Don't close your eyes.  Except when the truth is too dark to bear.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things.  Things no one else can see.  Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets.  All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her.  It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case -- but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk.  Then Clare's brother -- who has supernatural gifts of his own -- becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away.  Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer.  But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?”

            If I could see glimpses of the past, believe me when I say that I would be working with the new detective’s smoldering son to solve a murder case!  Clarity Fern has always had a very indifferent out look on her “gift”.  But, when the chance to solve a murder and save her brother arises, she will do everything in her power to prove he is innocent.  Teaming up with her ex-boyfriend is not high up on her list of things to do.  However, the chance to clear her brother’s name and to work with the smoking hot son of the new detective proves to be an irresistible combination!

            What first strikes me while reading Clarity is how quickly I am introduced to Clare.  Almost immediately I KNOW her.  She acts tough and uses her words to push others away, but deep down she’s just a little girl who wants to feel safe and loved.  Her big brother (Perry) is her world.  She even lies for him.  In fact, I can’t think of anything she wouldn’t do for him.  He is her rock.  A huge part of this book is about understanding the relationship between Clare and Perry.  Without grasping this relationship, decisions they both make would be impossible to comprehend.  I definitely sense Clare’s family loyalty from the fact that, while she can forgive her brother almost anything, no one else better even think about crossing her. 

            Clare obviously has a complicated history before I am introduced to her.  I can tell she has an estranged relationship with Justin, her ex., but I don’t know exactly what happened.  I think Harrington weaves in the background information very well.  She doesn’t just start off the book with a 15 page preface that details what happened BM (Before Murder) but, by the end of the story, I understand Clare’s past.  This book does have a love triangle and, unlike the last few stories I have read with these, it pulls it off well.  I really dislike when an author writes a love triangle where one of the two guys NEVER has a chance.  This situation isn’t like that; I STILL don’t know whom she’s going to choose!

            I love how this book is written.  It is a quick read, but I don’t feel like the story line is rushed at all.  Yes, it ends with some unanswered questions, but it doesn’t stop on a complete cliffhanger!  Clarity captures and holds my attention.  This book is amazing, and I cannot wait to see where the second book takes Clare!

The Cover:

           This cover is so beautiful!  I don’t know if the image shows just how intricate the design work is, but if not: ZOOM IN.  Her hair has some very strategically placed swirls that double as waves in her hair.  With the ocean and seagulls in the background and the sun directly behind her, the backdrop for the girl is breathtaking.  Add in a set of piercing eyes, that I believe can see my secrets, and we have a fantastic paranormal/ fantasy cover

I give Clarity 5 out of 5 hearts: I LOVED it! 

* I cannot wait for the sequel. Perception looks amazing!

For more information on Kim Harrington visit her website: http://www.kimharringtonbooks.com

You can purchase clarity here:

17 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this :) Such a good review! I'll definitely have to request it at the library now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! This book was great, and book two is releasing VERY soon: as in Feb. 27! =)

      Delete
  2. I've seen this book around for a while now and haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but I think I am going to have to really bump it up on my tbr list now.

    "What first strikes me while reading Clarity is how quickly I am introduced to Clare. Almost immediately I KNOW her."

    I love books that draw you into the characters like that. I want to root for the MC when she's down and cheer for her when she triumphing you know? I want to BE there, and the only way to do that is to identify with her, even if I don't always agree with or like what she's doing. Great job pointing that out Lauren:)

    Awesome review, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sequel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely bump it up the TBR list. I really enjoyed it. The connection to Clare is very strong and I had some definite root for and cheer her on moments along the way! =D

      Delete
  3. The cover really caught my eye on this book and with your awesome review I'm gonna have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the cover is a stunner! :)
      I hope you enjoy reading it!!

      Delete
  4. Great review! The cover was really unique like you said! I just loved this book, the mystery was great!
    A big part of this book is understanding the relationship between Clare and Perry and what she's willing to do to protect him!
    And I CANNOT wait for Perception! *squeal*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know I am so EXCITED FOR IT!! =D I'm glad you liked the book!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I hadn't paid that much attention to the cover. Thanks for pointing that out.

    I've been hearing so much good stuff about this book; I need to read it. Also never heard the basic plot before: it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard good reviews about this book. Im really gonna read this soon... But is this a trilogy or perception is just a companion to clarity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure it's a trilogy or longer series.. I really don;t know though!

      Delete
  7. +JMJ+

    I'm not too happy to read that this one has a love triangle because I was tired of the trend before it even was a trend. Sigh! And for the angst to stretch over several books, too? Not my cup of tea. =( Clare sounds like an interesting character, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean I am definitely antsy to read Perception!

      Delete
  8. First off, the cover is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful! I just happened across this at my local library (Perception, too!) and grabbed it up. I just knew that I had to read it. I loved your review. I love going into the novel knowing that the lead, Clare, is a tough cookie and loves her family. Those are 2 great characteristics, so if we have those I would say I am about to jump into another awesome read. Thanks for another truthful review. Those are always the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED this book! I loved all the characters, and the quirkiness of the town and the romance was great too. I enjoyed following the mystery - I didn't solve it before the end:)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this book! I loved all the characters, and the quirkiness of the town and the romance was great too. I enjoyed following the mystery - I didn't solve it before the end:)
    Great to see blur pc download

    ReplyDelete