Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: Midnight Child

Title: Midnight Child (Book three in the Midnight Guardian series)
Author: Bryna Butler
I give this book 4.5 out of 5 hearts: Very Highly Recommended.

~This review is for Book # 3, I suggest you read my earlier review of Whispering Evil BEFORE reading this one.  This review contains spoilers for Book #2. ~



Book summary:

           “So you read the prophecy. It’s all mystical, but pretty vague. Am I right? Those three, short lines are absolutely frustrating. Lucky me, I’m the one who’s supposed to figure it out. My name is Keira Ryan.  I’m the child born of sun and moon.

           Join Keira as she chases her destiny in this exciting third installment of the Midnight Guardian Series. While Keira searches, the mogdocs draw closer and a new alliance emerges to threaten the existence of her charge, the midnight child. A strange locket passed to her on Christmas Eve may be the key. Secrets are unlocked at the Great Serpent Mound. A history of trust is tested. A promise of passion turns deadly. A surviving evil creates doubt and there’s only one way to stop it…Find the Gift.

Just what do you get the spoiled gremlin queen that has everything?”          
          
           “Yeah, we need to have a kid.”  If I were Keira and I heard that, I would run.  Far and fast.  After William (Brun: high prince of the mogdoc) springs his interpretation of “The Prophesy” on Kiera, things get a little crazy.  Colby starts to act weird and, soon enough, Keira is cut off from him and their friendship.  Ann is a true, good friend, but she has her own issues to deal with and can’t always be around.  Arden—Keira’s trainer—is great, if not a little overprotective.  On top of it all, Kiera keeps getting surprise visits from Brun… everywhere.  He shows up outside, in cars, in the woods, and even in her bedroom.  Top it all off with a psycho queen who wants to kill her and all her friends, and we have a must read story!
             
           Midnight Child is the third book in the Midnight Guardian series and continues Bryna Butler’s tradition of greatness.  This book captures and holds my attention until the very last page.  It fills my mind, and I just can’t put it down until I reach the end.  Throughout the story, the plot twists and turns intrigue me.  The character depth is complex and, in some cases, shocking.  I really like how this story develops, from the beginning to the end.  So many things change: including my opinion of a few characters.

Kiera is a wonderful, powerful protagonist who, from the beginning, jumps out of the book and captivates me.  Her devotion to keeping her charge and her friends safe is one of her many charms.  One thing that I love about Butler’s writing is that she makes the world very realistic.  Yes, this is a YA Fantasy, Paranormal, Fiction book, but the key elements are dead on.  For example, Kiera makes some bad decisions that actually have consequences.  She doesn’t just walk away every time a fight breaks out unscathed because she’s special.  I think that is one of the most important aspects of this entire series, and especially Midnight Child!

The Cover:
             
           Okay, my first reaction to this cover: “Why is the baby screaming???”  That reaction is quickly followed by: “If a baby dies, I will personally kill the mogdoc that did it.”  To me, this cover sums up the story: keeping Drew safe.  I assume that the little boy is Drew and, from the beginning, I can only wonder what has him in such a terror.  This cover is such a great way to spark interest in the story underneath!
           
            *Midnight Child officially releases tomorrow, so get ready to go get it!*

Find out more about Bryna Butler and Midnight Child by visiting her website: http://brynabutler.wordpress.com/  

You can purchase Midnight Child here:

4 comments:

  1. Theres a third one too :O

    (I didnt actually read the review since it has spoilers ;P So dont yell at me!)

    Haha

    Bri @ Kindling the Fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the third one comes out TOMORROW!!! Actually the series isn't over yet more books to come in the future. :) Good! I am glad you didn't spoil it for yourself... I bet you would be mad if you read the book and knew the plot twists for book 3 while trying to read book 1!

      (this is me NOT yelling at you)

      :D

      Delete
  2. +JMJ+

    It's so rare to see babies on the cover of YA novels that I think I'd read this book just for the baby's sake! But based on your reviews, it doesn't seem the best photograph for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should check this series out. Never heard of it before. Cute baby on the cover though ^^

    ReplyDelete