Friday, April 15, 2016

Stacking the Shelves (#2)

http://tyngasreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/STSmall_thumb2.png 
Stacking The Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews to showcase the amazing goodies that you procured throughout the week!

Hello Everyone! This week I have two books that I am just so excited to talk about. Hopefully you have either read or want to read one of these... I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Book #1:
Title: Truthwitch (The Witchlands # 1) 
Author: Susan Dennard

Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1)“In a continent on the edge of war, two witches hold its fate in their hands.

Young witches Safiya and Iseult have a habit of finding trouble. After clashing with a powerful Guildmaster and his ruthless Bloodwitch bodyguard, the friends are forced to flee their home.

Safi must avoid capture at all costs as she's a rare Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lies. Many would kill for her magic, so Safi must keep it hidden - lest she be used in the struggle between empires. And Iseult's true powers are hidden even from herself.

In a chance encounter at Court, Safi makes a reluctant ally. However, his help may not slow down the Bloodwitch now hot on the girls' heels. All Safi and Iseult want is their freedom, but danger lies ahead. With war coming, treaties breaking and a magical contagion sweeping the land, the friends will have to fight emperors and mercenaries alike. For some will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.”

*I had to pick this book up because so many people had been saying how much they loved this! I was definitely sucked into the cover and I am so glad I picked this up! I did have a few problems with the story but overall it was really well done. See my full review here


Book #2:
Title: Code Name Verity 
Author: Elizabeth Wein

Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1)“Oct. 11th, 1943-A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a chance at survival. The other has lost the game before it's barely begun.

When "Verity" is arrested by the Gestapo, she's sure she doesn't stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she's living a spy's worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution.

As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie…”
(While the amazon review does give more information I think that it is spoiler-y for the story!)


 *I grabbed this (CD) book when my coworker practically forced it into my hands and told me to read it and let her know what I thought. At the time I had no idea how popular this book was! Having finished the book I can truly say that this is an amazing story that I am phenomenally happy to own. I would highly recommend this story if you are looking for your next great read (or listen). Review to come. :)

So what do you all think? Have you read either of these two books and did you enjoy them? And what did you grab this week?

12 comments:

  1. I have Truthwitch on my TBR :-) happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard great things about Truthwitch! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
    Happy reading!!

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Truthwitch. You got some excellent books this week.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. TruthWitch is such an amazing book! It is a fun, new universe for the author to play in. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I cannot wait to see what happens next.

      Delete
  5. I've heard so many great things about Truthwitch! I hope you like it :)
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either of them but TruthWitch has a beautiful cover. Hope you enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a gorgeous cover! Definitely a pretty book.

      Delete