Tuesday, March 6, 2012

One on One with Karen Amanda Hooper

Karen was born and bred in Baltimore, frolicked and froze in Colorado for a couple of years and is currently sunning and splashing around Florida with her two beloved dogs. She's addicted to coffee, chocolate and complicated happily-ever-afters.

Karen has been making up stories for as long as she can remember. In high school she discovered her passion for putting her thoughts onto paper, but it wasn't until her late twenties that she wrote her first novel. Due to her strong Disney upbringing, she still believes in fairytales and will forever sprinkle magic throughout all of her novels.

Interview with Karen Amanda Hooper

1. Did you use any of your friends or family members as characters in Tangled Tides?

Not exactly. I used bits and pieces of some of my friends and family members’ personalities, and I created some variations on names of people I know, but no character is taken directly from my real life.


2. How would you (as a successful author) like to be remembered?

As an author with a big heart. I always want my stories to have heart and passion in them, and I want my readers to know I’m approachable and appreciate them.


3. What inspired you to become an author?

I’ve always loved writing. I just never believed I could write a novel until my late twenties. The inspiration for a YA reincarnation story hit me like a Mack truck and once I started writing it, there was no stopping me. I had found my true love.


4. What is the most inspiring thing for you as you write Yara’s story?

If you mean what inspired me to write the story, it would be my love for the ocean and a fascination with sea creatures that started when I was a child. It began when I was two with Sea Wees (different colored mermaid dolls who came with a pet like a penguin or seal). 


5. What type of clothes do you feel the most comfortable wearing?

Even though I live in Florida where it’s hot most of the year, I’m still most comfy in jeans and a t-shirt (or tank top). But every now and then I like to dress up. 


6. Name one book that had a huge impact on your life and what was the impact.

Oh, gosh there are so many. One of my top picks would have to be the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I was going through a really rough time in my life when those books first came out, and her stories were my escape from reality. They made me fall in love with reading again. 


7. Who do you go to when you have writers block, or just a bad day?

I haven’t had writers block yet (knock on wood) but on bad days, if I need to talk, I usually turn to my mom, or one of my close friends. If I just want to relax and feel better, I curl up on the couch with my dogs and read a good book or watch a movie. 


8. Is there anything special you do to research for your books?

A lot of my research comes from real life experiences or knowledge, and then I just add magical twists and turns to make my own version of things. However, some facts I did have to look up in Tangled Tides. Like Medusa’s sisters names, I couldn’t remember them to save my life.


9. Do you find time to read while you are working on a book?

I usually don’t read much when I’m writing my own stories because I get too obsessed with my own world and characters and don’t want to leave them. I read other books in between projects. 


10. In what historical time period would you most like to visit?


Ooh, the 1950’s. I want to wear poodle skirts, drink milkshakes at diners with jukeboxes, and hang out with friends and family without everyone being on their cell phones texting or emailing. 


11. What do you want people to take away from your Tangled Tides?

Mainly, I hope they enjoy an escape from reality. If they love a character or two along the way, that’s a huge bonus. And I hope they see that the “big picture” message is that with love anything is possible.


12. What is your favorite holiday?


Definitely Christmas.


Thanks so much for the interview, Lauren! These questions were unique and so much fun. 


Poodle Skirts, ahh, I love it!!  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions I have learned a lot of cool and unique things about you.  I really like that you want to be remembered as the author “with a big heart”.  So awesome. (=

What about you guys, anything YOU want to know about Karen? :)

My review of Karen's book: Tangled Tides
For more on Karen Visit her website here: http://karenamandahooper.com/

2 comments:

  1. After reading Karen's amazing book I can't believe she didn't think she could write a novel! Wow, I'm so glad she read that story that inspired her. Great interview ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I couldn't believe she couldn't write a novel either! I am so glad she pursued it and didn't ignore her gut feeling :) Thank you!

      Delete