Interview with Karly Kirkpatrick:
1) Skittles or M&M’s?
Definitely Sour Skittles!
2) Do you have any songs or a playlist for any of your books? If so what songs?
I don’t have a specific list. While writing Into the Shadows, I listened to a lot of punk, Nine Inch Nails, and Rage Against the Machine. After that I’ve just used music that helped me write. Mostly I listen to Mumford and Sons, Foster the People, Oasis, or Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds while writing, regardless of the topic.
3) Where do your story ideas come from?
I like to take every day problems and give them a twist. I have a background in history as well, so sometimes historical themes pop up and are mixed in with paranormal elements.
4) On average how long does it take you from start to finish to write a book?
It’s hard to say. My first book took a year, my second, two months, the third, four months. That’s not including edits, just the first draft. Edits usually take an additional 6-8 weeks. I work full time and lately my schedule hasn’t allowed for a lot of writing time, so my current book will take a few months, I’m guessing.
5) What is your favorite color?
Hmmm, tough question. Maybe red, but then I don’t wear a lot of red. I do have a lot of it in my house though!
6) Where is your dream getaway location?
On a beach, anywhere in the Mediterranean. It’s my favorite place to travel to.
7) What mythical animal would you choose to make real?
Unicorns. Hands down. They’re sooooooo pretty!
8) When you were a child what did you think you would do for a job?
When I was in 4th to 6th grade, I wanted to be an author. In high school, I wanted to be in musical theater. Then I became a teacher, which I still do now as my day job.
9) Tell me something that most people wouldn’t know about you!
Most of my readers probably wouldn’t know that I speak multiple languages. In addition to English, I speak German, French, and Spanish, along with a little Italian. I also spend a lot of summers traveling around Europe.
10) Do you have any big goals you are working towards in the writing world?
Nothing major. This year I’m working on finishing off the Into the Shadows trilogy. My goals are pretty simple, write books and put them out for readers to read!
11) Coffee or Tea?
Neither, actually! I don’t drink hot drinks. I’m a water girl, mostly! Not very exciting. If I’m dying for caffeine, I’ll have a Pepsi.
12) Swimming in the ocean or swimming in the pool?
I like going to the ocean, but prefer swimming in pools. No mystery critters in pools!
13) What is your advice for aspiring young writers?
Work hard, finish your book, and work with other writers to make it the best it can be.
14) Any interesting tidbit about yourself or your books!
An interesting tidbit about my books would be that a lot of the places are based off of real places, either where I grew up or live now. I also refer to restaurants that I frequent.
~Thank you so much!