Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: Intangible

Title: Intangible
Author: J. Meyers

Book Summary:

Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.

Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right.

And he can’t do anything about it.


I would like to think that if I had a twin we would get along like Sera and Luke do.  Sadly, if my experience with my brother is anything to go by, I don’t think that would be the case.  Sera and Luke have always had each other’s backs and they like it that way.  At school, they are always together, and they actually seem to enjoy and revel in each other’s company.  They are best friends and secrets don’t have any place between them… until Luke, the psychic who’s never wrong, sees Sera’s death.  Now he must race to change the future while they both struggle to keep their powers a secret.

The premise of Intangible is short, sweet, and to the point. It gets across that the book has a unique storyline, tightly woven family bonds, and lots of paranormal excitement!  My only real concern is that, from the summary, it is unclear if the book will focus on any other relationships besides that of their family… and I like it when I get to see friend and romantic relationships as well.

From the start of Intangible I can tell that the book is going to be unique and interesting.  Psychics, healers, ghosts, elves, goblins, vampires, fairies, and prophecies are all mentioned in the story so it has A LOT going on.  As a lover of the paranormal and a good book I must say that this is both. The characters all seem to flow together in a way that’s complimentary… where Sera is more reserved and tends to shy away from people Luke takes on a direct approach and meets things head on.  This duo is balanced by a third member, Fey, whose magnetic looks and personality attract most of the attention shot the trio’s way.

I am thrilled as I am reading to discover that the plot-line and relationship development go much deeper than the bond between the twins.  Tentative friendships with some unlikely characters and a blooming romance add to the story and keep my interest piqued throughout the novel.  Through these relationships I see the characters grow and change and, though towards the end I feel like I know them all personally, some of their decisions still manage to catch me off guard!

One of my biggest disappointments with Intangible is how often it changes perspective, and how little warning I get before it does.  I understand why Meyers felt it was necessary to write it this way, because having everyone’s perspective adds a LOT to the story, but it was just too much too fast. For example I would finally start to sink into Sera’s perspective when it would switch over to Luke—but that’s not all, Luke would be doing something completely different in a whole new setting.  So, I’m sitting here reading all intrigued and then the next minute I'm thinking:

“Wait. WHAT? Go back what does Sera do?”

That was probably my biggest problem with the story.  Putting that aside though it is a uniquely crafted story that definitely holds my attention.  I would recommend it to anyone who loves paranormal, prophecies, trying to thwart fate, and surprising twists and turns. Intangible is a book that will leave you begging for more, good thing it's a series...

             The Cover:

             I think that the cover uses really beautiful soothing hues to capture your gaze.  The colors aren't loud or super bright, and they don't force me to go get my sunglasses!  I think the cool tone works well with the dramatic shadowing of the face.  And of course the script that the title is written in looks awesome!  I swear I need to find all these gorgeous fonts... 

I give Intangible 4 out of 5 hearts: Great Read!

For more on J. Meyers visit her website here: http://www.jmeyersbooks.com/books/

Buy Intangible here:




Paperback              Ebook

7 comments:

  1. I love the cover as well. I really enjoyed this book, although I'll agree with you about the POVs.

    Great review :)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I think the perspective change is kinda OK though. Love the cover too. Awesome review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was just abrupt, and perspective changes have never been my favorite to begin with.

      Thanks Fara! :)

      Delete
  3. I really liked your review. I had to go back somtimes too, to make sure whose point of view it was. I did really like the book though.. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a good read!! :)

      I'm glad you liked it too!

      Delete
  4. I got confused by the change of perspectives, too.

    ReplyDelete