Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Spirit Fighter



 Title: Spirit Fighter
Author: Jerel Law

Book Summary:


“Seventh-grader Jonah Stone discovers that he is one-quarter angel--his mother is the daughter of a human and a fallen angel--and after she is kidnapped, Jonah and his sister, Eliza, must try to rescue her, with the help of prayers and a guardian angel.”




Jonah Stone is an average seventh grader… at least he thinks he is until he starts developing super strength.  Come to find out his mom is a nephilim, a child of a fallen angel and a human, making Jonah and his two younger siblings each one-quarter angel.  Soon after he realizes this, his mother is kidnapped and he and his younger sister will do whatever they can to rescue her.  Luckily, for them they have God on their side.

When I first read the blurb for Spirit Fighter, I am really excited.  It sounds like a great story plot line and I cannot wait to see how the different elements play out.  For me I know the religious elements that are presented won’t be a problem but it might be a hindrance for others.

This book has some seriously awesome aspects to it and I really enjoyed how it goes all out and ties back to scripture!  I think that since a main part of the book focuses on religion it makes sense that everything ties into it.  If it didn’t I would feel like it fell flat and only did it halfway which would be really disappointing. One of my favorite parts was the incorporation of the armor of God—it plays a huge part in the kids discovering what they can do.

The actual pace of Spirit Fighter was pretty good, but it seemed like the conflict was resolved very quickly.  All the events that took place seemed to happen back to back and it made the whole story seem rushed and unnaturally fast.  Then again who am I to say that angels don’t work at super speeds? ;)

This was definitely a book I enjoyed and I cannot wait to see what happens in the rest of the series.  It was nice to read a book pertaining to angels that had more to do with the actual religious aspect of them… since they are religious icons.  The other notable thing about Spirit Fighter was that the story was intriguing enough that I didn’t mind the lack of romance.  And there was NO romance with either of the MCs. For me that’s a big deal because usually a good romance will make or break the book. 

The Cover:

I like the cover of Spirit Fighter… but I think it’s a little too busy.  I had to look over it at least three times in order to get an idea of what was going on in it.  The other thing I had to do repeatedly was run my fingers over the raised up tentacle grooves.  The octopus’s suction cups are raised and shiny so it adds that much more depth to the cover.

I give Spirit Fighter 4 out of 5 hearts: Great Book!

Learn more about Jerel Law on his website here:  http://www.jerellaw.com

Buy Spirit Fighter here:

Paperback              Ebook

No comments:

Post a Comment