Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: The Farewell Season

Title: The Farewell Season
Author: Ann Herrick

Book Summary:

“Eric used to think he'd live forever, but not any more.  As football season starts, he hopes he can live normally again after the death of his father, but his refusal to face his grief results in anger at his coach, fights with his sister, resenting added responsibilities, and disillusionment with football.  It takes a special relationship with a girl dealing with the divorce of her parents to see he is angry with his father for dying and the way to get through grief is by grieving.”

            To say Eric is “troubled” after the death of his father is an understatement.  After his father passes away, Eric is left hurt, confused, and angry.  He lashes out at everyone and cannot see anyone else’s pain.  Where he used to find fulfillment in football, Eric now only finds more anger, frustration and empty dreams.  Over time, he will develop a friendship that will help him deal with his feelings… he just has to deal with them before he does something he can’t fix…   

When I first read the premise to The Farewell Season, I prepare to be moved.  Usually, I easily connect with stories that deal with personal issues of triumph after tragedy, and the journey they require.  The Farewell Season is definitely one of those stories.  I will admit that I cried while reading this book because I am that connected with Eric.  Yes, I totally bond with a guy.  In a book.  Who is fictional.  Go.  Figure. 

             Eric starts out sounding like every other stereotypical jock.  Arrogant.  Conceited.  Cocky.  But, then I see beneath the facade to his true character.  I see: the teenager who has just lost his father at a pivotal part of his life, the teenager who has looked repeatedly to his father for support and guidance and then has him abruptly ripped away, and, most importantly, the teenager who has never grieved over his enormous loss.  This Eric is someone I can empathize with-- someone I can feel hurt, shame, pity, and triumph with.  Oh, I still don’t like his behavior—at times I want to bean him over the head for his rudeness!  Though I empathize with him, I am still furious that he is hindering everyone else’s attempts to move on.  And, the rude way he talks to his mother grates on my nerves.  In short, he sounds like a sullen teenage boy.

            I really like Herrick’s writing…obviously, it moves me to tears but, moving beyond that, the story isn’t overdone.  The Farewell Season isn’t an overly long book—only about 150 pages.  Though there are definitely more aspects of the subplots that can be explored more fully, I think that The Farewell Season ends in a good place.  If it stretched out longer, I think it would have ruined the ending for me.  Besides, this way maybe I’ll get a sequel!
           
            The Cover:
           
            I think this cover is a great representation of the story underneath it.  Unlike most YA covers that have a girl in a dress, this one actually has symbolism!  I really like how the football player is out of the line of sight for the camera and how I can see the girl in the background.  It looks like the football player is walking away from her… which I can see happening in the story.  Very fitting cover! 

*This book does have profanity* 

I give The Farewell Season 4.5 out of  5 hearts: Very Highly Recommended!!

Learn more about Ann Herrick here: http://annherrickauthor.com/

Buy the book here:

Paperback: $10.99     Ebook: $.99

12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you gave this review, I often judge a book by its cover and I really don't like the cover. But maybe I have become to used to the Vampire DARK covers out there. Were as this is not a Vamp book. I will be reading this. How much profanity do they have like all through the book or just a little?
    Thanks
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! :) I do not recall the profanity level being high BUT I am a high school student who goes to a large public school... so I will admit I may be a tiny bit desensitized :/ I only remember the MC cursing in tense situations and I don't think it makes up a large part of the book! It wasn't enough to bother me, and it wasn't like it was on every other page. I hope that helps!!

      Delete
    2. The profanity is mild and infrequent, but it is there. No F-bombs or anything. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, sounds like a tear jerker! I just read a tear jerker as well, in fact I am about to write up my review and I'll probably start sniffling all over again! I like this cover, yay! for book covers that actually relate to the book itself! The girl-in-a-prom-dress fashion show is getting SO tired:)Loved the review Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather!! It was definitely a tear jerker! :) Personally I still like the girl in a prom dress look but I also like covers that fit (= I just like cool covers ;)

      Delete
  3. I really didn't dig the cover either(I do like covers, I'm weird), but your review makes me want to give it a shot. Tear-jerkers aren't my type normally, but I will read anything, and it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do give it a shot :) It made a real connection that I will remember for quite a while!

      Delete
  4. Lauren, I want to thank you again for your review. Connecting with a reader by making her cry/laugh/ponder/question is what it's all about for a writer, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Thanks for the story that wrenched all those emotions from me (=

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine how I would react if one of my parents passed away, so I really can't blame Eric for acting out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats how I felt too... it is definitely believable! :)

      Delete
  6. +JMJ+

    It doesn't sound like the type of book I'd enjoy, but I'm curious that the author was able to tell such a story in only 150 pages and get such a positive review from you. Perhaps it's worth checking out just for that. Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete