Monday, February 13, 2012

Review: In His Eyes



Title: In His Eyes

Authors: The indelibles (listed below with their short stories)

Rating: 5 out of 5 hearts: I LOVED IT!!

Since Anthologies are short stories, I really can’t do an in-depth review on each one without ruining the whole plot.  So, in honor of “short” stories, I am going to summarize my initial reaction to each story from In His Eyes in 5 words!



Surprise Surprise by Stacey Wallace Benefiel:
What a great Valentines date!

First Kiss or First Kill by C.K. Bryant:
Medicine Mix-up had me laughing.

Shattered by Ali Cross:
She better love him back.

Before by Jessie Harrell:
Who would turn down Eros?

The Qualm Before the Storm by Karen Amanda Hooper:
Just kidnap her and leave.

Unspeakable by S.R. Johannes:
Full of mystery, major cliffhanger!

In the Beginning by Katie Klein:
I want my own guardian!

A Chance Encounter by Cheri Lasota:
Where is this girl going?

Family Bonds by Heather McCorkle:
Definitely worth breaking the rules.

Getting Closer by Lisa Nowak:
A sensitive guy, how refreshing.

Precalculus by Cory Putman Oakes:
Math SHOULD be that exciting!

The Almost Assassin by Laura Pauling:
Who would taze a mime?

Mind Games by Susan Kaye Quinn:
Don’t they believe in privacy?

By The Firelight by Elle Strauss:
Do NOT mess with Casey.

A Very Alien Valentine’s Day by Magan Vernon:
Aliens have some serious class.

Aligned by RaShelle Workman:
Makes saving souls look easy.


            So there they are, my initial reactions.  I hope this sparks some curiosity as to exactly what these stories are about.  What?  Need more convincing?  Fine.  Since you asked so nicely, I will share my thoughts on this anthology as a whole.  Ahem…

            I have never been one to read anthologies; I think this is because I form an emotional attachment to the characters, and then BOOM they’re gone.  That said, this book is wonderful.  As in, curl up on the couch, grab a cup of tea, and daydream about these guys after reading all their stories.  All of the short stories are from the guys’ POV.  It’s a very refreshing change from the normal, female protagonist approach.  With all of these amazing guys, the biggest challenge is simply choosing your favorite crush!  One thing that I really love about In His Eyes is that I still understand and connect with the short stories, deleted scenes, and prequels that are associated with books that I haven’t read yet.  Each of the authors does an amazing job of tying me to the characters and, when needed, providing background information to help set up the stories.  All of these short stories are very well written and have a definite flow making them easy to read.

            Another quality that makes this book so amazing is its diversity.  All of these stories are YA fiction, but some of them are contemporary, some are paranormal, some are fantasy, a few are sci-fi, and I even classify one as historical.  With all of these different genres, there is  sure to be a perfect story for just about anyone’s taste. 

The cover:

            Well lets see: this cover is steamy.  Just look at the heart, it screams romance.  I really love how the guy and girl are looking at one another through the heart in the mirror as they are leaning in for a kiss. They don't even seem to be aware of a mirror between them.  So romantic.  I hope they both get that kiss!

Basically, I absolutely LOVE In His Eyes and recommend it to anyone who loves YA, yummy guys, mystery, and a whole lot of romance!

In His Eyes is FREE at Smashwords, and $0.99 at Amazon and Barnes&Noble - hopefully to go free there as well by the release date on Valentine's Day (TOMORROW!!!). Or you can add In His Eyes to your TBR list on Goodreads.

*For more information about The Indelibles, check out their blog, facebook page, or follow them on Twitter.


32 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping us spread the word, Lauren. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, it is such a great collection of short stories!!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely surprise! It's like a Valentine's gift for the authors. Thank you Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome... and Happy Valentine's Day ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the great review, Lauren! Happy Valentines Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Happy Valentine's Day to you too!!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you were reading it! Thank you for this, Lauren! I loved your review! (What a fun way to do it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when I heard about it I was so excited, I knew I had to get my hands on it! I'm glad you liked my review, 5 words is tricky. (:

      Delete
  5. Awesome review!! Thanks so much for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really enjoyed the book (:

      Delete
  6. Cute and creative review! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your short sentence review for each story. What a cool way to do it! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome! LOVE how you found a snippet review for each selection. Thanks so much for reviewing this anthology for us. You're the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks :) It was my pleasure, I have always enjoyed the Indelibles' work!

      Delete
  9. awww... thank you so much! I love how you describe each story in 1 sentence. And I gotta agree with you, who would say no to Eros???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I'm glad the one sentence worked out well! As for Eros...I certainly wouldn't say no to him ;)

      Delete
  10. Lauren - Thanks for the lovely review. Very sweet. It'd be cool if saving souls were that easy, right? LOL Hope you have a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it :) Happy Valentine's Day to you too!!

      Delete
  11. The cover looks amazing..I have this on E-book and haven't had a chance to read it but I'm glad to liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I HAVE to read this. (You did say that a mime was tazed, right?) Your quick reviews have won me over, and I am seriously dying to find out what half of it means. Next stop, amazon.com. Why, you ask?... Because it is FREE! *does happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yepp I did say "who would taze a mime" ;) I am glad they won you over!! I hope you enjoy it!! This was definitely a anthology I LOVED!!!

      Delete
  13. Your review has made me super-excited for this book. I love how you summarized each short story in a few words and I'm an absolute sucker for well-written romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D I hope you read and love this book ;)

      Delete
  14. Ooh yay! It's free! Thank you for informing us. After reading your review and having my interest sparked, I'm glad to be able to download it immediately and read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us:)

    Sarah Bibi Setar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep free!! And they are all talented authors (=

      Delete